I Like History, Castles, and Re enactment too.
on this blog I'm sharing my love of all things Historical .




Tuesday 31 July 2012

Back to Buchan (Deer Abbey)

I'm Heading Home to See Mum and  Dad,


groovy Gold bus! well done Penny! booking me in style.
I left Glasgow, Aberdeen here we come !

fields                                                                                           more fields

 the North sea ( the grey bit, no the other grey bit, sea see)

A Flyby of Stiling Castle (on the hill, too late ya missed it)


 
 History yea!!!!!!!
 

 
 
 
Deer Abbey was a Cistercian monastery in Buchan, Scotland.[1] It was founded by 1219 AD with the patronage William Comyn, jure uxoris Earl of Buchan,[2] who is also buried there. There was an earlier community of Scottish monks or priests. The notitiae on the margins of the Book of Deer record grants made to the Scottish religious community in the 12th century and a claim that it was founded by Saint Columba and Saint Drostan.[3] The old religious community was probably absorbed by the new foundation.  



 Mum, Dad and me in Deer Abbey, I grew up two miles from here and have never been to see it ?



The Book of Deer

Another reason I wanted to go to Deer Abbey was that this is where the book of Deer was made!
this book is the  Pictish idea of the Book of Kells, an Ancient Celtic book, like the bible that the monks in Ireland and Scotland made in the earliest days of Christianity in Scotland.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Kells.









posts